General contact details
The Scottish Legal Aid Board
91 Haymarket Terrace
Map and office accessibility
You can find out how to get to Thistle House and the accessibility features of the building here.
- Our standard opening times are Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
- Our switchboard is open from 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Please note: Our flexible working arrangements allow for a broad bandwidth of working hours. However, the times listed above are when our service can be guaranteed and expected.
Switchboard telephone number
- Our main switchboard telephone number is 0131 226 7061 (open Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm).
- We operate a call routing system to direct callers to the relevant area (see below for shortcut numbers).
- Please note that for training and monitoring purposes your call may be recorded.
British Sign Language
contactScotland – BSL: Scotland’s online BSL interpreting service
Call routing shortcut numbers
- Anyone wishing to bypass the call routing system can use shortcut numbers. There are diagrams of separate telephone routing trees for the profession and public.
You can send information (representations) about a case in which you are an opponent by using this online form. You can also post them to Thistle House, 91 Haymarket Terrace, Edinburgh, EH12 5HE. Please include your name, address and the Legal Aid Reference Number (LARN) of case you are making a representation about (if known). If you need more information, please email Representations@slab.org.uk.
Please see our Complaints and Customer Service page for details of how to tell us your views on the service we provide.
Legal aid information
You can call us to find out more about legal aid and if you may qualify.
The tests you need to meet to qualify for civil legal aid are split between:
- Financial tests
- Your financial situation – can you afford your legal costs without help from SLAB?
- Merits tests
- you have 'probable cause' – is there a legal basis to take your case forward?
- it's reasonable to spend public money to support your case – is it likely to succeed?
- we do not provide legal advice
- we cannot tell you whether legal aid will be granted for your case
- we can tell you whether legal aid is available in principle, and let you know about the application process, and the information your solicitor will need to provide.
Financial eligibility – 0131 240 2082 (open Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm)
If you have questions about financial eligibility you can contact our Financial Assessment Unit.
They can help with general queries about eligibility and any specific questions about financial forms you need to complete.
Civil Merits Team - 0131 226 7061 (open Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm)
If you have questions about the merits tests you can contact the Civil Merits Team.
Other sources of information
There is also information about legal aid at the 'Justice and the law' section of MyGov.scot. This website also contains information about other bodies who may be able to help you.
Contact details for use by the legal profession
DX DX555250, Edinburgh 30
Post Thistle House, 91 Haymarket Terrace, Edinburgh, EH12 5HE
Media queries: Journalists please go to the Newsroom.