Information for providers About us

Other useful information

The sections below give you extra information that is either not in our leaflets or that we want to tell people about.

What if I am unhappy with how you or my solicitor have acted?

Our complaints page explains our complaints procedure if you are not happy with the service we provide to you.

The leaflet also gives you information about which organisations to contact to make a complaint about other individuals or organisations.


I think someone receiving civil legal aid is not entitled to it – what should I do?

You can write to us to tell us why you think someone is not entitled to receive civil legal aid. If you are an opponent in a case, you can find out more information in the Opponent's section.

All applications for civil legal aid are covered by strict rules of confidentiality, so we cannot give you any details about what another person has declared about their financial circumstances in their application without their permission.

You should also bear in mind that assessments of financial eligibility for civil legal aid only take into account the income and outgoings a person has during the twelve-month period immediately following the date their application was made (but we can take any changes to capital into account if the case is still ongoing).

If you give us details of your concerns, we will investigate. You can telephone us on 0131 226 7061 and ask to speak to someone in the Civil Applications Financial Assessment Unit, or write to us at Civil Applications Financial Assessment Unit, The Scottish Legal Aid Board, Thistle House, Haymarket Terrace, Edinburgh, EH12 5HE, or email  


I want legal aid for a case in another country – is this available to me?

Legal aid is only available for a matter of Scots law, so if the subject matter of the case occurred in another country, no funding is available from the Scottish Legal Aid Board. There may be funding available in the other country to help you take action.


Where can I find out about legal aid in other countries?

England & Wales: For information about legal aid in England and Wales contact the Legal Aid Agency, Berkley Way, Jarrow, Hebburn NE31 1SF, telephone 0191 428 3600. The Legal Aid Agency also operates  the Civil Legal Advice service which provides help and advice to those eligible for legal aid in England and Wales.

Northern Ireland: For information about legal aid in Northern Ireland, visit the
Northern Ireland Legal Services Commission

A Scottish solicitor may be able to give you advice and assistance to help you find a solicitor in England or Wales to deal with your problem.

Many other countries have legal aid schemes although they may not cover the same things as Scotland's.



Quick links

Legal Aid News

27, Jun, 2019

SLAB welcomes launch of public consultation on legal aid

Read article

13, Jun, 2019

contactSCOTLAND BSL service extended

Read article

08, Mar, 2019

SLAB welcomes new legal aid advisory panel

Read article

12, Dec, 2018

Annual Report 2017-18 published

Read article

19, Oct, 2018

Make payment to us online through SLABPAY

Read article