New common queries section to help with Criminal ABWOR cases
8 March 2023
We have added a new section to our criminal legal aid guidance with answers to the most common enquiries we receive on Criminal ABWOR cases.
These Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) explain when, and what type of, Criminal ABWOR is available in different situations.
As Criminal ABWOR regulations and provisions can be quite complex we hope that the explanations will help to clarify these situations for you.
Listed in the guidance under Assistance by way of representation (ABWOR) in summary criminal proceedings, this new FAQs section has questions and answers on the following matters:
- the regulation changes in November 2022 to allow the sheriff court fixed fee to apply to cases resolved before the first court appearance
- applicants not represented at the first custody appearance
- applicants not represented at the first non-custody appearance
- changes of solicitor between court appearances
- no representation provided at the first appearance due to industrial action
- no instructions taken by the nominated solicitor in custody cases
- delegating the court attendance in a custody case
- appearing from custody on a warrant
- applicants not fit to attend the first appearance.
If you have any questions please contact:
Kingsley Thomas, Head of Criminal Legal Assistance
Assistance by way of representation (ABWOR) in summary criminal proceedings
Criminal ABWOR – common queries
Find out about common queries and issues relating to the Criminal ABWOR regulations and provisions
Consultation launched about our policy on ABWOR for the removal of disqualification from driving cases
25 September 2023
We have launched a consultation today about our policy on the ABWOR merits test which we apply in removal of disqualification from driving cases.
Report on findings from the Criminal Quality Assurance Scheme for Criminal Legal Assistance for 2019 to 2023
7 August 2023
Report setting out the statistics, issues, and findings from the Criminal Quality Assurance scheme for the four-year period 1 April 2019 to 31 March 2023
Drafting solemn accounts prior to 29 April fee reform changes
12 April 2023
This update explains the transitional arrangements included in the 29 April changes affecting solemn accounts - and advises on halting drafting online accounts